– touch is very calming to the patient, even during the advanced stages.
– Massage does not slow or reverse the disease, but it may improve the quality of life for the patient.
Considerations / Contraindications:
– Be aware of other accumulated disorders especially with the elderly.
– Patient may have an inability to communicate verbally.
Signs and Symptoms:
1. No impairment
2. very mild decline ( “pre Alzheimer’s”)
3. mild dementia ( some memory and word loss)
4. moderate dementia ( loss of some skills; social withdrawal)
5. Moderately severe dementia ( assistance is needed for complex tasks)
6. Severe dementia ( profound memory loss, personality changes, disorientation, loss of bladder/ bowel control)
7. very severe dementia ( loss of language, muscle control)
– some drugs can slow progress, if caught early.