Parkinson’s Disease aka “shaking palsy” is the degeneration of motor center in the brain.
– Parkinson’s Disease is a neurological disorder with loss of nerves in the substantia nigra of the basal ganglia, the subsequent loss of dopamine, and the clinical presentation of resting tremors, muscular rigidity, and expressionless appearance
– The cause of Parkinson’s Disease is unknown, genetics do NOT appear to play a role
– Tremors, rigidity and mask like faces = Classic Triad of Parkinson’s Disease.
Parkinson’s Disease Massage
Massage Therapy Treatment Contraindications for Parkinson’s Disease: Parkinsons Massage CIs
- SNS ( Sympathetic Nervous System Firing should not be stimulated as this will increase symptoms).
- Prolonged vigorous techniques should be avoided.
- Avoid areas sensitive to touch. Massage Contraindications for Parkinson’s Disease
- Pressure and Hydrotherapy applications are modified on areas of altered sensation.
- Patient may have hypertension or hypotension caused by autonomic dysfunction.
Massage Therapy Treatment for Parkinson’s Disease: Parkinson’s Disease Massage
- helpful with muscle stiffness
- mproves quality of life issues
- Clients have trouble getting on tables ( some on the floor, or low table, or seated massage)
- Elderly clients may have other conditions as well
- Rigidity is safer for massage than spasticity
Signs and Symptoms of Parkinsons Disease: Parkinson’s Disease Massage
Primary Symptoms of Parkinsons Disease:
- Nonspecific pain, fatigue
- Resting tremor
- Bradykinesia ( difficulty initiating movement)
- Rigidity ( especially of trunk flexors, facial muscles)
- Poor postural reflexes parkinsons massage for parkinsons
Secondary Symptoms of Parkinsons Disease: Parkinson’s Disease Massage
- Shuffling gait ( festinating gait : loss of central gravity- trying to catch up with gravity —almost feel like they’ll fall forward)
- Changes in speech
- Changes in handwriting
- Sleep disorders
- Mental degeneration parkinsons massage for parkinsons
Parkinson’s Disease Massage Therapy Treatment: Parkinson’s Disease Massage
- AF ROM Testing
- PR ROM Testing
- AR Strength Testing
- Bradykinesia Testing
- Sensory Testing
- Specific Orthopedic Tests
Massage Therapy Treatment Plan and Goals for Parkinson’s Disease:
- Positioning should be adjusted to the degree of patient’s rigidity.
- The more rigidity, the fewer changes in position.
- Positioning should encourage less flexion in posture. Maintain Thoracic Mobility.
- The massage treatment should be performed in the context of relaxation massage.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing should be encouraged. Include Diaphragm massage if possible.
- Use smooth rhythmical techniques. Swedish massage techniques to improve circulation and improve overall tissue health.
- MLD- Manual Lymphatic Drainage if Edema is present.
- Passive ROM and Joint Play applied to increase patient’s range of motion.
- Address postural changes and muscle imbalances.
- Limit and decrease contractures. parkinsons massage for parkinsons
- Supplementing dopamine
- Deep brain stimulation- implant electrode in thalamus
- Surgery to alter thalamus, other structures
- Physical, speech, occupational therapy parkinsons massage for parkinsons